Monday, March 2, 2020

Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Sabrina the Teenage WitchSabrina the Teenage Witch by Kelly Thompson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

New to Greendale, Sabrina Spellman runs afoul of twin enemies: a supernatural menace and teenage drama.

I read a ton of Archie comics as a kid but only a handful of Sabrina stories. My main exposure to Sabrina was that television show starring Melissa Joan Hart about a thousand years ago. I saw some comics pro, I forget which one, say this was one of the best comics of 2019 so I picked it up when the Archie website was having a sale.

I don't know about best comic of 2019 but this is damn good. Kelly Thompson does a great job of infusing her supernatural story with teenage drama WITHOUT annoying the shit out of me. Sabrina's a likeable outcast, new to Greendale with her aunts in town. Soon, there's a Wendigo, a kraken, and the alpha mean girl at school, Radka Ransom. How will the two threads intersect?

The art is pretty slick. Veronica and Andy Fish crafted some great art. It feels retro but still modern. The coloring is also slick, computer colored but not overdone. The color palette is a little purple-heavy but since most of the action takes place at night, that's fine.

My main gripes are that the ending seemed like it came out of left field. Maybe this was supposed to be six issues and got shortened to five for some reason? My other gripe is that the next miniseries hasn't been released yet. Seriously, this is some surprisingly good shit.

Loving this take on Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Four out of five Masks of Malin.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment