Thursday, October 15, 2020

Daredevil: End of Hell

Daredevil by Chip Zdarsky, Vol. 4: End of HellDaredevil by Chip Zdarsky, Vol. 4: End of Hell by Chip Zdarsky
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

While Matt and Elektra play Robin Hood and rob the Stromwyns, Hammerhead and The Owl are making moves in Hell's Kitchen. When they butt heads, will there be anything left of Hell's Kitchen to fight over?

In this volume, Daredevil is reborn, or Born Again (get it?) as a crime fighter. After a caper with Electra, Hell's Kitchen heats up and it's up to Matt, Cole North, and a handful of Hell's Kitchen's denizens to keep what's theirs. I was so engrossed in this story that I didn't even notice the shift from Jorge Fornes to Marco Checchetto on art. Both them paint a dark, gritty picture of Hell's Kitchen.

Anyway, Zdarsky continues his hot streak on this one. He makes Stilt-Man seem credible, writes a great Bullseye, and even brings an old villainess back into the picture. All the shit hits all the fans at the end and I wasn't completely sure Daredevil would actually walk out. I mean, logically I knew he would but there was still a heaping helping of uncertainty. The last page of the penultimate issue in this trade made me grin from ear to ear. If I had one gripe about this trade, it's that the final battle seemed a little rushed but I prefer that to dragging it out over another issue.

In the age of decompression, Chip Zdarsky has managed a complete tear down and rebuild of Daredevil in under two years and is easily a top tier Daredevil creator. Five out of five billy clubs.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment