Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Dracula, motherf**ker

Dracula, Motherf**ker!Dracula, Motherf**ker! by Alex de Campi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When a Hollywood party results in Dracula being wakened from his deathly sleep, Quincy Harker, police photographer, is in way over his head. Even with the help of some mysterious women, can Quincy avoid being Dracula's next meal?

I've been following Alex de Campi on the Twitter since reading Archie vs. Predator and Erica Henderson since she started live tweeting old Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes. When these two bad asses teamed up, I was powerless to resist.

Dracula, Motherf**cker is a sequel of sorts to the Bram Stoker classic, only Dracula has been coffin bound for decades and Quincy Harker is a crime scene photographer in Los Angeles.

I'll dance around the wrinkles of the plot but this thing is a breezy page turner. I wound up reading it twice in one sitting while my toddler was watching Little Baby Bum.

Visually, it's a very striking book. The color palette is moody as hell, reminding me of Francisco Francavilla's work at times. The depiction of Dracula and the other vampires reminds me of something out of Go Nagai's Devilman, more hallucinatory fever dream than Jack Palance in evening garb.

I need more Dracula, Motherf**ker. Four out of five sleazy 1970s stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment