Sunday, November 22, 2020

Batman: Creature of the Night

Batman: Creature of the NightBatman: Creature of the Night by Kurt Busiek
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When Bruce Wainwright's parents are murdered and he spends two months in a coma, he discovers the world is an unfair place. But can The Batman make things right? And who or what is this Batman?

I'm a fan of Kurt Busiek's Astro City so I was interested in seeing what I assumed would be a more human take on Batman. Creature of the Night isn't at all what I expected and it's much better for it.

Bruce Wainwright is a young Batman fan on a world not unlike ours. When his parents are murdered, Bruce needs some way to understand and to right the wrong that defined his life. Enter... The Batman!

I'm going to gloss over the rest of the plot so I don't ruin the best bits of the story. Kurt Busiek's tale captures Batman's self destructive nature and has a enough commonalities with the core Batman mythos to still feel like a Batman tale but it's a Batman tale unlike any I've ever read. The art by John Paul Leon is moody as hell and has a Alex Toth/Matt Wagner feel to it. The art style probably isn't for everyone but it's right in my wheelhouse these days.

It doesn't have the Elseworlds banner on it but Batman: Creature of the Night is the best alternate take on Batman since Gotham By Gaslight. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment