Thursday, September 9, 2021

Uzumaki

UzumakiUzumaki by Junji Ito
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When people in a small Japanese town become obsessed with spirals, can Kirie and her boyfriend Suichi get to the bottom of things before they get ensnared by spirals too?

My wife bought this for me sometime in the hazy past. It caught my eye on the basement coffee table so I figured it was a good time to read it.

This is some crazy, crazy shit. It's a mix of cosmic horror, body horror, and generally unsettling. I couldn't put it down and wolfed it down in three long sittings. There is a lot of grotesque imagery that is burned into my brain. I don't want to give too much else away about the plot.

Junji Ito's art and story go hand in hand, his style perfect for conveying the horrors his pen was laying down in the script. It was disturbing but very engaging.

Uzumaki is a masterpiece of visual body horror. Five out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment