Sunday, September 19, 2021

Batwoman by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III

Batwoman by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams IIIBatwoman by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III by Greg Rucka
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Batwoman by Greg Rucka and JH Williams collects the Batwoman stories from Detective Comics #854-863.

Up until now, my only exposure to Batwoman was in 52 when she went up against the Church of Crime and got stabbed through the heart. I don't know what made me pick this up but I'm glad I did.

In this volume, the story of Kate Kane becoming Batwoman is revealed, along with a battle with the new leader of the Religion of Crime and a serial mutilator known as The Cutter.

The origin of Batwoman is an intriguing one, getting ejected from West Point for being gay and meandering through life until a chance encounter with Batman sent her down the superhero path. There are other aspects to her origin that I don't want to spoil.

I like Batwoman for the same reason I liked Bronze Age Huntress: The stories feel like Batman stories without 80 years of baggage. They're gritty tales with a lot of action and Kate often takes a beating and/or stabbing in the course of sorting things out.

JH Williams and Jock do a fantastic job on art, though I have to admit I like the flat colors in JH William's flashback scenes more than I do the computer colored pages of the current tale.

Batwoman by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III is a good read and a great intro into Batwoman. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment