Saturday, September 25, 2021

The Goon: Bunch of Old Crap Volume 1

The Goon: Bunch of Old Crap Volume 1: An OmnibusThe Goon: Bunch of Old Crap Volume 1: An Omnibus by Eric Powell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Goon: Bunch of Old Crap Volume 1 collects Rough Stuff, Nothin' but Misery, Mr Murderous Childhood, and Heaps of Ruination, all starring The Goon!

Once upon a time, there was a really shitty comic shop with even shittier service. I traded some stuff to them and got this. They went out of business shortly before the pandemic so I definitely got the better end of the deal.

The Goon is a musclebound buck-toothed thug living in a 1930s city with a zombie problem. Over the course of this volume, he fights zombies, a giant zombie chimp, a mad scientist, a giant octopus, tentacled horrors from beyond space and time, and various other menaces.

This is a light-hearted book, high on humor and violence. The Goon never met a problem he couldn't solve by punching or hitting with a pipe wrench. It's like a dumber, more light hearted Hellboy, whom The Goon has a crossover with in the penultimate tale of this collection.

The artwork reminds me of a lighter Hellboy. I also notice some Sam Kieth, Kelly Jones, and Jack Davis in the artwork. This checked all the boxes for me.

The Goon: Bunch of Old Crap Volume 1 is the beginning of a new obsession for me. Five out of five zombie heads.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment