Thursday, December 29, 2022

Black Hammer Omnibus

Black Hammer Omnibus Volume 1Black Hammer Omnibus Volume 1 by Jeff Lemire
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I got rid of my Black Hammer trades during the last purge since I saw this was coming out. It seemed like a great time for a reread and it was. I forgot most of the events of the first two Black Hammer trades so it was like mostly new material.

This quirky little nightmare features the heroes of Spiral City stranded in a small town in the aftermath of their final battle with the Anti-God, a town they cannot leave. Is it heaven? Is it hell? Is it something else?

Black Hammer is more than one of those homage comics that keep popping up. While it's partially an homage super hero comic, it's also a creepy ass mystery that also explores the nature of small town life a bit.

While I love the mystery factor, the characters rise above their roots. Barbalien is a gay Martian Manhunter. Abraham Slam is an aging Captain America. Golden Gail is a older woman in a nine year old girl's body. Colonel Weird is Adam Strange if Adam Strange cracked under the strain of all the weirdness. And Madam Dragonfly would be the hostess of a House of Mystery type comic if she weren't the magical portion of the Black Hammer team.

So now I have to wait until July to reread the next batch of reprints. Hopefully they collect all the tie-ins in softcover as well. Five out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment