Saturday, January 14, 2023

Whiteout

WhiteoutWhiteout by Greg Rucka
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When a body is found frozen outside an Antarctic research station, US Marshal Carrie Stetko is on the case. Can she find the identity of the victim and why he was killed before she becomes a frozen corpse herself?

When the local used bookstore announced they were closing permanently, this is one of the things I spent my store credit on.

Greg Rucka spins a great crime yarn and this is no exception. The crime, other than the murder, isn't apparent until much later in the tale. His protagonist, Carrie Stetko, is one of the few women on Anarctica and a hard ass, exiled for killing a suspect.

The mystery is a good one, as good as comic book mysteries can be. Steve Leiber does a great job conveying the hellishness of life in Anartica even in the best of times. In addition to standard comic techniques, I think I saw some charcoal and whiteout come into play. I usually walk around the house barefoot all year long but I put on a thick pair of socks while reading this.

The ending was great. I think there's another Whiteout book but I can't imagine it being as good as this one. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment