Sunday, March 29, 2020

The Jetsons

The JetsonsThe Jetsons by Jimmy Palmiotti
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When a planet-killer meteor is spotted speeding toward Earth, Jane Jetson and other NASA scientists have just days to figure out how to stop it...

So this is Jimmy Palmiotti's dark reimagining of the Jetsons. It was gripping and I enjoyed reading it but I'm not exactly sure that I liked it. While I have no great affection for the Jetsons, this may have strayed a little too far from the source material for me.

Unlike The Flintstones, there's very little humor in this. Earth is underwater due to the melting of the polar icecaps and a meteor impact and humanity lives in the skies. Now, another meteor is speeding toward Earth and it seems there's no way to stop it.

That's about all I can say without giving too much away. While Jimmy Palmiotti broke into the business as an inker, the guy has some writing chops. I'm going to have to track down some of his Jonah Hex stuff. There was a real sense of jeopardy in writing. Logically, I knew things would work out but I was doubting myself quite a bit along the way. Pier Brito was up to the task of illustrating the Jetsons' dystopian future. The book was about 85% people talking but Brito was still able to keep things visually interesting.

While it strayed a little too far from the source material for me, The Jetsons is a gripping tale that feels like a combination of 2001 and Armageddon. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment