Thursday, April 21, 2022

Orion by Walter Simonson Volume 2

Orion by Walter Simonson Book TwoOrion by Walter Simonson Book Two by Walter Simonson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Orion by Walter Simonson Book Two collects issues #12-25 of Orion.

Orion's greatest adventure concludes in this volume. After bending Apokalips and Earth to his will using the Anti-Life Equation, Orion soon finds himself facing Darkseid, a Promethean Giant, The Ecruos, and others with the fate of the universe in the balance.

The book has a cosmic, epic feel not often seen in comics. Byrne's Fourth World run had big things happen but I never felt like there was a chance the universe would end. While I logically knew Orion would save the tree at the heart of reality, I had my doubts a few times. As if being the Anti-Life Equation's bitch for a while wasn't enough, Orion has his eyes gouged out and spends some unpleasant time on earth before settling things and eventually restoring the status quo for whomever picked up Orion next.

Simonson's art and writing was a good fit for the mythic tone of the book. Byrne and Austin did a couple issues and were able to maintain what Simonson was doing. It may have been their best work together. I've have some minor quibbles, like Orion never actually fighting the battle depicted on the cover and Mister Miracle's motivation being a little unclear. I could have done without the Earth story at the end in favor of more cosmic stuff but it wasn't my tale to tell.

I enjoyed Simonson's depiction of Darkseid. Darkseid works best for me as a master manipulator rather than a heavy hitter and that's the way Simonson plays him. Hell, he does a great job with Orion too, giving him what he wants and letting him dig his own grave with it. There are some similarities to his approach with Thor but when the story involves gods and you hire Walt Simonson, you shouldn't be surprised.

Orion by Walter Simonson is in the pantheon of great cosmic comics. Five out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment