Friday, August 25, 2023

Thor: The Mighty Avenger

Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 1Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 1 by Roger Langridge
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When a hobo dressed like Thor finds his way into Jane Foster's life, her life is turned upside down.
Aside from some of the Kirby material and Walt Simonson's run, Thor is hit or miss for me. This one is a big hit.

Okay, so I mainly bought this for the Chris Samnee art but I wound up loving Roger Langridge's stories too. This must have hit during one of my hiatuses from comics.

Over on Bluesky, comic artist Peter Kraus said this was one of his favorite comics and it's a romance comic disguised as a super hero comic. That's an apt description. The tone reminds me of the Allred/Slott Silver Surfer run without so much cutesy shit. Jane and Thor have some adventures as they grow closer together and fall in love.

Samnee's art is the star of the show for me but Langridge writes some great done in one tales. Guest stars about like the Warriors Three, Namor, and Captain Britain. Aside from the lack of a proper ending to wrap it up, this is a perfect comic.

It feels like it might have been created as a new jumping on point but doesn't seem to be tied to any established continuity. It feels a more like MCU Thor than 616 or Ultimate Thor.

So yeah. I wish they'd gotten another few issues to wrap this up but it stands pretty well as is. Five out of five stars from me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment