Saturday, May 14, 2016

The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 3: No Escape

The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 3: No EscapeThe Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 3: No Escape by Dan Slott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

11 - Spidey goes out to the raft to watch the execution of the Spider-Slayer. Things don't go as planned.

I'm still really digging watching Otto walking around in Peter's body, both with the Spidey-costume and without. I'm also quite pleased that Dan Slott keeps surprising me with the writing. He's damn good.

12 - The raft is in chaos as Spidey takes on the Spider-Slayer, Boomerang, The Vulture, and The Scorpion!

The best part of this issue was when the Spider-Slayer tells Spidey to quit orating like a Bond villain. Things go from bad to worse when the Slayer upgrades Boomerang, The Vulture, and The Scorpion and opens the Lizard's cell. I'm pretty excited to see where this goes.

13 - The final showdown between Spidey and the Spider-Slayer and his minions.

Yeah, Brutality and taking the long view of things are becoming the hallmarks of the Superior Spider-Man. I knew he'd settle the Spider-Slayer's hash but that was pretty harsh. I loved the ending of this one with Spidey taking The Raft as his new headquarters.

14 - Spider-Man and the Spiderlings take out Shadowland. Meanwhile, things are brewing with the Goblin underground and the Green Goblin has proclaimed himself the new Kingpin of Crime!

I thought it was pretty cool that the Superior one has gathered an army of minions and I love how things are escalating toward a showdown between the Spider and the Goblin. Why don't more super heroes have underlings?

15 & 16- The Hobgoblin escaped the destruction of Shadowland and Spidey wants him bad!

Spidey uses his Big Brother-ish ways to find Phil Urich and exposes him as the Hobgoblin! Too bad the police are just as inept as ever and a new chapter of Phil Urich's life begins.

Closing Thoughts: Dan Slott hit this one out of the park but I sense even bigger things to come. I don't know if he intended it when starting the Superior Spider-man but Slott seems to be exploring what makes a hero a hero and exactly where the line between super hero and super gestapo is. He also uses Otto to point out some of the inherent absurdity in the whole super hero concept.

Anyway, I'm giving this one 4 out of 5 stars. I'm in it for the long haul.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment