Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The Back Issue Bin - Quasar #1

Quasar (1989) #1
writer: Mark Gruenwald
artists: Paul Ryan, Danny Bulanadi
rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

I have a slew of Quasar comics in the long boxes in my nerd cave.  I first learned about Quasar in an issue of Marvel Comics Presents where he met Man-Thing and Quagmire.  I collected the title sporadically for a few years until I dropped out of comics.


Quasar is similar to DC's Green Lantern at first glance.  The Quantum Bands do pretty much everything Green Lantern's power ring can do.  I knew some of Quasar's origin but this was the first time I read it.

The Quantum Bands originally belonged to the Marvel Boy of the 1950's, who was disintegrated by them in battle with the Fantastic Four.  The bands fell into SHIELD's hands around the time Wendell Vaughn washed out of the SHIELD field agent training program.  Wendell was on security detail while his father was working with Stark Industries to study the bands.  The original candidate for the bands panicked and disintegrated himself when he found he couldn't remove the bands.

AIM attacks, gunning for the bands.  In order to save everyone, Wendell puts on the bands and uses them to repel an AIM task force single-handedly.  Not bad for a guy who SHIELD said had no killer instinct.

For the late 1980's, this was a exceptional origin issue.  It pales toward what comes later, when Quasar finds the origins of the bands, dies, gets resurrected, and becomes the Protector of the Universe before traveling across realities...  I get ahead of myself.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment