Thursday, April 12, 2018

Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain

Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can ExplainMockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain by Chelsea Cain
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Bobbi Morse, aka Mockingbird, is a SHIELD agent. Part of her SHIELD insurance dictates that she go to the health clinic every week. So what's with the new super powers she's been exhibiting? And the zombies? And the Corgi?

After her appearances in The Unstoppable Wasp, I needed more Mockingbird. Once again, my Marvel Unlimited subscription was justified.

Mockingbird is a fun comic, the story told in an interesting way. The first issue details her various visits to the SHIELD health clinic. The subsequent four issues reveal what happened in between the visits and explain the weirdness.

Since my only previous exposure to Mockingbird prior to the Unstoppable Wasp was a fistful of West Coast Avengers issues, this was a pretty good intro to Bobbi Morse, biochemist/SHIELD agent turned super hero. In between her trips to the clinic, she encounters super villains, the Hellfire Club, and a frightened teenage girl with super powers.

Bobbi is a smart, funny character, far from the angry woman Hawkeye divorced years ago in West Coast Avengers. Hawkeye, in fact, makes an appearance. She's confident but still struggling to be a super hero in a world where most of the super heroes are men. There are jokes but I didn't feel like they detracted from the story like I did in Infamous Iron Man. The humor was natural, not forced, in other words.

It was entertaining but I might pass on the next volume since it looks like it probably got cancelled in mid-stream. Thanks again, Marvel. Three out of five stars.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment