Sunday, July 15, 2018

Appleseed volume 2: Prometheus Unbound

Appleseed: Prometheus Unbound (Appleseed, #2)Appleseed: Prometheus Unbound by Masamune Shirow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While Briareos convalesces in the hospital and Deunan kicks ass in an ESWAT unit, the struggles behind the scenes of Olympus threaten to tear the city apart...

The second Appleseed volume takes seeds planted in the first volume and runs with them. Spider-like walkers are in the works to police the city. Factions behind the scenes debate humanity's future in utopia. Hitomi and Yoshi are taken into custody. Deunan and Briareos both know something is up.

I found the story easier to follow this time. Maybe I'm just getting used to it since the same people did the translation in this volume. There are some philosophical debates about the future of the human race that I found interesting. There were some dead spots but there were also some action packed scenes. Hitomi made me laugh a few times and I really like where things are going between Briareos and Deunan.

The art is spectacular. I interrupted my wife's reading of The Handmaid's Tale to show her some great uses of perspective in the city scenes. I thought the art was clearer in this volume. Maybe other people voiced the same criticisms I did when the first volume was originally released. Anyway, it's easier to differentiate the mechs and the visuals weren't as confusing during the action scenes.

The bit with the spider-walkers attacking the city was tense! While I was pretty sure Deunan and Briareos would survive, I wasn't sure about any of the other characters. Also, I'm glad I know why the series is called Appleseed now.

So what happens when utopia gets derailed? I guess I"ll find out in the next volume. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment