Saturday, December 22, 2018

The Immortal Hulk: Or Is He Both

Immortal Hulk, Vol. 1: Or is he Both?Immortal Hulk, Vol. 1: Or is he Both? by Al Ewing
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Bruce Banner wanders the US, unable to outrun his true enemy, the one that lurks inside him even after death, The Immortal Hulk!

While some of my earliest super hero memories are of the Incredible Hulk TV show, I've only read a handful of Hulk comics over the years. This book has been touted as a horror take on the Hulk and that's all I needed to hear.

This is the classic Hulk on the run story with a twist: Even if Bruce Banner dies, he'll return as The Hulk when the sun goes down. The Hulk in these pages is smart and sadistic and goes up against a few Gamma-powered antagonists.

Al Ewing has done a great job making the Hulk seem like a rabid dog that you should stay the hell away from. There's some decompression but this volume is one hell of a read. Joe Bennett's art is also good, although I think a subdued, shadowy, Mike Mignola type of style might have been more suitable for the tone of the story.

I think Marvel has something special on their hands with Immortal Hulk. I'll be reading the next volume once it's available. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment