Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Ranma 1/2 Volume 2

Ranma 1/2 (2-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2: Includes vols. 3  4Ranma 1/2 (2-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2: Includes vols. 3 4 by Rumiko Takahashi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Teenage martial artist Ranma has a particular problem: when he touches cold water, he becomes a girl! But that's not as big as his other problem: his arranged engagement to Akane, the daughter of a martial artist!

I read the first volume in a sleep-deprived state not long after the birth of my son. I was much more aware while reading this volume of Rumiko Takahashi's gender-swapping romantic comedy.

In this volume, Ranma struggles with his feeling about Akane, maneuvers with Ryoga/P-Chan, and goes up against Shampoo, who wants to kill the female Ranma and do something carnal with the male one.

The introduction of Shampoo was my favorite part of the book, although the misunderstandings, Akane's amnesia, and the bizarre martial arts hijinks were also great. As I've said in the past, this feels like Archie with some outlandish kung-fu bolted on to it more than anything else. Rumiko Takahashi was a couple decades ahead in her exploration of the entangling of sex and gender.

Ranma 1/2 Volume 2 is a fun time. I'll probably check out another volume of Urusei Yatsura before I read another one, though.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment