Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Aces High

Aces HighAces High by George Evans
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Aces High contains 28 stories illustrated by George Evans.

War comics aren't normally my thing but I liked the other George Evans book I read in Fantagraphics' EC library. Plus, I have a collection to think about and I'm almost done with the EC Library!

Anyway, this is great stuff. Evans had some serious chops, be it biplanes flying around in World War I or the seedy goings on in back alleys. The crime stories are straight out of Jim Thompson, bleak noir tales with the standard EC reversal of fortune ending. The war stories kind of blend together but the aerial artwork is where Evans really struts his stuff. I kept waiting for Enemy Ace to show up.

I'm really running out of ways to praise these black and white EC reprint books but I haven't regretted one yet. Aces High is more of the same and I wish there was more George Evans work in print. Four out of five stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment