Sunday, March 20, 2022

Ragnarok: Last God Standing

Ragnarok, Vol. 1: Last God StandingRagnarok, Vol. 1: Last God Standing by Walter Simonson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Centuries after Ragnarok, the mostly dead corpse of Thor awakens with vengeance on his mind!

There's more to it than that, of course, but I don't want to spoil anything. Like a lot of comic fans, I loved Wal Simonson's Thor run. When I heard he was doing a creator owned Thor book, I wasn't sure what to expect but it wasn't this.

This is some metal ass shit: Zombie Thor, wandering what's left of the world, kicking ass and taking names. When the enemies of the Aesir went to war with Asgard, they made one mistake. They let Thor get away!

I've made it sound like Ragnarok is just Thor kicking ass but it's not. Sure, Thor has a quest for vengeance as he pieces together what befell the gods at Ragnarok but it's also the story of black elf parents making a deal with the lord of the dead for their daughter's life. But it's also about Thor, aka The Stone God, throwing his hammer and fighting all kinds of stuff in a world that's gone to Hel.

I'd love to gush about a bunch of things that happen in this but I'd rather not spoil anything. The book is full of stunning visuals and awesome moments. I'm glad I have the other two volumes en route as we speak.

Ragnarok: Last God Standing is a masterpiece in both artistic achievement and heavy metal ass-kickery. Five out of five Mjolnirs.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment