Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Marvel Unlimited Find: Trial of the Gods!

Journey into Mystery 116
date: May 1965
writer: Stan Lee
artists: Jack Kirby, Vince Colletta
rating: 3 out of 5

My first exposure to Thor was as a member of the Avengers in my Marvel Pocket Books Captain America.  I read a handful of comics from the Walter Simonson run and a few more from the DeFalco/Frenz run but I've never been a huge Thor fan.  I caught a glimpse of this story in an issue of Marvel Saga but never read it in its entirety until now.

Odin has had enough of the bullshit between his two sons and The Trial of the Gods is held!  Thor and Loki go to Skornheim and must survive on their wits.  Loki, ever the cheater, uses the Norn stones for an unfair advantage.  The brothers must face such obstacles as a deadly forest of thorns, quicksand, Yagg the Slayer, a desert, carnivorous plants, and a fire chasm.  To top it off, Loki wins the Trial of the Gods, the damn cheat!

With a name like The Trial of the Gods, I expected a little more.  Three out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment