Monday, May 30, 2022

My Bad

My BadMy Bad by Mark Russell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When Emperor King sends a salad shooter to The Chandelier's alter ego, Jamington Winthrop, The Chandelier springs into action! But how did Emperor King deduce his secret identity and what does he plan to do next?

I buy everything Mark Russell touches these days so I was powerless to resist this. Good thing because it was fucking great! Peter Krause of Power of Shazam fame supplies the art, Kelly Fitzpatrick handles the color, and Mark Russell and Bryce Ingman throw the words around. It's a team that put out one the best comics I've read so far in 2022.

There are elements of satire and deconstructionism in My Bad. Why do super heroes and villains do what they do? is the core question. The Accelerator, a super speed alien, runs a chain of fried chicken restaurants when he's not saving the world. The Chandelier runs a lighting empire when he's not fighting crime in the dark corners of gravel city. Rush Hour is the only super hero dedicated to fighting traffic crime. The primary super villain, Emperor King, is a trust fund kid who's most likely bored.

This is one hilarious book and not nearly as depressing as some of Mark Russell's other work. The tone reminds me of The Orville. Rather than being a ridiculous parody, it feels more like a loving homage with jokes and some philosophy. While funny, it's still a solid super hero book.

Is My Bad the best book Ahoy has put out? Possibly. Five out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment