Friday, November 4, 2016

Neonomicon

NeonomiconNeonomicon by Alan Moore
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Courtyard: When federal agent Aldo Sax goes deep undercover to find a mysterious drug called Aklo, he gets snared in net of Lovecraftian craziness with Johnny Carcosa at the center.

Aside from being peppered with racial slurs, I thought this was a pretty good tale. Aldo Sax encounters cosmic horrors and flips his shit. Moore seeded the text with plenty of Lovecraftian references, like The Shadow over Innsmouth, The Horror at Red Hook, Zothique (actually a Clark Ashton Smith), and Randolph Carter.

I like the direction Moore is going with this one.

The Neonomicon: After visiting Aldo Sax at the sanitarium, Agents Lamper and Brears pick up where he left off and head to Salem.

There was some sick shit in this, much more extreme than Lovecraft but still true to the spirit of the mythos. I had a feeling things would go the way they did with Brears. This one was definitely not for the squeamish.

Moore's take on the Cthulhu mythos in Neonomicon makes me anxious to read his next Lovecraftian offering, Providence. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment