Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Vision, Vol 1: Little Worse Than A Man

The Vision, Vol 1: Little Worse Than A ManThe Vision, Vol 1: Little Worse Than A Man by Tom King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Vision builds himself a family and moves to the suburbs with them. Things are great until they aren't.

After reading the first issue of The Vision via Marvel Unlimited, I knew I wanted to read the rest. Little Worse than a Man collects the first six issues.

The Vision and his family experience prejudice from their human neighbors, Viv and Vin's classmates, and later, the cops. Virginia lies to the Vision once and it snowballs, sending their quiet suburban life out of control. I saw someone refer to The Vision as the Breaking Bad of the Marvel Universe and I can definitely see it heading in that direction.

The subdued art fits the story perfectly, and Tom King is going to be a big name in the future. The story's unknown (at first, anyway) narrator gives the book a tone not often seen in super hero comics. It raises questions about family and what it means to be human.

Tom King and Gabriel Hernandez Walta have produced one of those quirky, powerful books I can't imagine Marvel taking a chance on ten years ago. I can't wait to see what the next volume holds. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment