Sunday, February 27, 2022

Kamen Rider Classic Manga Collection

Kamen Rider - The Classic Manga CollectionKamen Rider - The Classic Manga Collection by Shotaro Ishinomori
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Turned into a cyborg, Hongo Takeshi battles evil as Kamen Rider!

Manga is hit or miss for me so I've been sticking with the classics. I knew Kamen Rider spawned a whole genre of Japanese television that includes the Power Rangers so I gave this a shot.

I'll get my gripes out of the way first. Shotaro Ishinomori probably didn't use any construction guides when drawing Kamen Rider because his proportions change quite a bit between pages, especially in the early stories. Also, there are a few tonal shifts that are jarring and the art is crude at times.

Enough of that, I enjoyed the shit out of this. It's a lot of fun in a super hero monster fight kind of way. I love Kamen Rider's design and the enemies are suitably monstrous. There's a big surprise about halfway through that I had to stop and tell my wife about. There's a strong environmental message, especially surprising since this is '70s manga.

Kamen Rider - The Classic Manga Collection was good for a few hours of monster-bashing good fun. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment