Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Wolverine: Old Man LoganWolverine: Old Man Logan by Mark Millar
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Wolverine has been retired for fifty years and the world has gone to hell in a hand basket. Logan and his family are behind on rent when Hawkeye shows up, blind and needing a navigator for a cross country trip. Can Logan and Hawkeye cross a United States ruled by super villains?

I've been hearing about this one for years. However, Wolverine is not my favorite character and Mark Millar is a hack. Anyway, with Logan coming to theaters soon, I thought it was high time I read this. I was sold when the Spider-Mobile made an appearance.

Wolverine and Hawkeye drive across country, encountering the Hulk's cannibal grandkids, Moloids, dinosaurs, aging super villains, and all sorts of nastiness. When they get to New Babylon, all the pieces are on the board but the whole game changes.

This was a fun real from a coolness standpoint. However, as per usual, Millar changes the characters' personalities to serve his story. When was Mysterio ever that powerful? How was a gang of super villains able to defeat the heroes when it's been attempted hundreds of times before?

Still, once I pushed that stuff aside, I had a ball reading this. It's almost orgasmic once Logan finally unsheathes his claws and gets down to business.

Wolverine: Old Man Logan is part Mad Max, part Unforgiven, a really fun read as long as you don't look too closely. It'll be interesting to see how much winds up in the Logan movie. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment